Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Mold in newer buildings!

I am alarmed at the amount of time it takes for water leaks to develop in new buildings! It really doesn't take long at all!  And where there are water leaks, mold is sure to follow!

I get excited when I see a new building, a shopping area, or restaurant, or entertainment spot for my kids.  I am so happy that maybe I can shop there without having a reaction, but then I am very quickly disappointed.  I am already seeing leaks in buildings just a few years old.  Often times it is the hvac system that is causing the leak, either through condensation or pipe leaks.  Then there is also the buildup of dust in the ventilation system that nobody seems to care about or correct. This causes the air handler to work harder and often times leak as well.

It is amazing to me that we can spend millions of dollars building buildings and just one or two years later they start leaking.  Engineers can solve this problem, but we have to have the right ones to solve it. Not too many people are interested in mold illness since it doesn't affect everyone.  I hope more people get into engineering hvac systems for buildings that are moisture controlled with dehumidifiers in place.   

No comments:

Post a Comment